Monday, July 16, 2007

Arrived

I'm in Home City now, and as always, it's like I never left, for both good and ill. I'm staying at the family home, in a bedroom across the hall from the one I grew up in. I'm in a twin bed -- again, same as it ever was. And there is the inevitable low-frequency background hum of minor family drama. But I find it's like living in a high-traffic neighborhood: after a while, you get used to the noise, until you no longer notice it at all.

Home city is a wonderful place. And yes, I did bring a few photocopied articles with me. I'm determined to get through them while I'm here. But there are friends to visit, a great local bookstore to wallow in, and the general city ambiance to soak up. So, reports over the next couple of days are likely to have less than usual to do with matters academic.

Oh! But on several recommendations, I'm reading Anne Lamott's "Bird By Bird." I started it on the plane, and it's wonderful. For anyone looking to fall in love with writing again, this is a good place to start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really hated that book. Someone raved over it once so I finally tried it. It felt like reading Victorian prose: how long can I reasonably be expected to read about a single flower or squirrel? Gimme plot, baby. With no footnotes. :)

Keri said...

Funny -- I decided to reread "Bird by Bird" this summer too. I love that book for so many reasons!

Great blog, by the way -- I was directed here by the Academic Ladder newsletter.