Monday, August 31, 2009

Odds and Ends (with a recipe for hot summer days)

Tomorrow is my first day of classes. I think I'm mostly prepared, and what isn't prepared can be effectively faked. I've posted a bunch of online content for one of my classes, and thought up a nifty new activity for my methodology class that just might work.

My only other activity today was to make this:

Vegetarian Salad Ni├žoise:


  • scrub, halve or quarter, & steam 1lb new potatoes 10-15 minutes, and blanch in cold water;
  • trim, steam (5min) & blanch 2c green beans;
  • fine-chop 1/4c red onion
  • seed & slice 1 cucumber
  • halve 12-16 pitted kalamata olives
  • chop 1/2 c. fresh dill

Toss all of these together, then add dressing:

Mix 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard with 1-2 Tbsp. good olive oil,** then add 1/2 tsp @ salt, and honey or agave syrup, 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, and pepper to taste.

Toss dressing with salad, and chill 1hr.

If you're not a vegan, then finish w/boiled egg wedges; if you're not vegetarian, add slices of seared ahi, perhaps with a bit more pepper.

Yum.


**Mixing these two ingredients together first should keep the olive oil from separating from the rest of the dressing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a yummy salad. I noticed your hard-boiled eggs have a green rim around the yolk. This can be avoided by boiling the eggs 10 minutes, then submerging them in ice water. This stops the egg cooking and gives you a beautiful yellow center. I'm a medievalist/mom, so I do a bit more cooking than research these days, so feel it necessary to add my expertise when I can.

Good Enough Woman said...

I love it with the seared ahi! Happy teaching!

TheKitchenWitch said...

This looks delicious! I add tuna, but it definitely can stand on it's own.

Custom Thesis Writing said...

this kind of blog always useful for blog readers, it helps people during research. your post is one of the same for blog readers.

Thesis Papers Writing