Monday, December 6, 2010

This is not a post about my romantic misadventures

...because there haven't been any. It's merely a small conversational vignette on the topic of hypothetical romantic misadventures.

background: a conversation that happened to touch on the most recent two people I've been involved with.

Other Person: So, you only date academics?

Me: No, no -- I only meet academics. (pause for thought) I suppose I'd be more likely to date non-academics if I ever went anywhere other than my office.


Seriously, the last relationship I was in only happened because the person kept stopping by my office. And put like that, it might look sad. But to me, it's actually kind of amusing: I'm probably only ever going to date again if a potential romantic partner is delivered to my door like a pizza that I didn't actually order.

12 comments:

Another Damned Medievalist said...

LOL... I know this feeling! Otherwise, they end up being people you meet at conferences and seeing at extravagantly long distance. Having said that...several of my friends are now under orders to make sure to invite a particular person from campus to events where I will be. Just in case.

Nicole said...

Oh dear, now I have bow chicka bow music going through my head...

Anonymous said...

Funniest concluding sentence EVER.

But now, I realize, that's pretty much how I ended up with my husband. He just kept coming back.

Belle said...

Blindingly relevant observations. Put me on that delivery list, eh?

squadratomagico said...

I guess mail-order only applies to brides, eh? Imagine the possibilities if you could order up a compliant groom, stat.

But seriously... if you'd like a date, have you considered any of the online sites? I do know two couples who met this way. Seems like the closest thing I can conjure to getting fresh, hot, man-delivery.

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Online dating. Seriously! I met my hubby online 11 years ago, and it was the best thing for me. Just make sure you find someone who is within an hour's driving distance. Should be good.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Glad to amuse. And yes, I've done online dating, and for a good long stretch. Doesn't work for me, for reasons having to do with my very odd personality. But not to worry -- life is generally good.

ADM, I like your style: a campus-wide plot!

Dr. S said...

I do think that delivered men might not be a bad solution. Could they be pre-screened against thoughtlessness?

Dr. S said...

(which, to be sure, is not a slight against men in the abstract; I've just vowed to keep a sharper eye out for the kind of thoughtlessness and carelessness that I've been willing to overlook in past encounters, is all.)

Notorious Ph.D. said...

'Fraid not, Dr. S., for that would make it a pizza you did order. And who has time or energy to do that?

Dr. Virago said...

Or...you could date the pizza delivery guy. Or the UPS guy. Or the FedEx guy. Or the mail delivery guy. (That is, if they're all guys.)

:)

Just playing along with the delivery theme.

a. b. said...

Any man arriving at my door with a pizza has already passed the first screen.

That last paragraph totally killed me.