Thursday, July 14, 2011

RBOC, plus a self-portrait (of sorts)

Back in Grit City for over a week now, settling into a rhythm. Here are some truly random bullets:
  • Writing group check-in is tomorrow. Don't forget.
  • Speaking of writing groups, I'm meeting up tomorrow with a couple of people from different departments who meet every Friday to drink coffee and write. We're still one horseman short of an apocalypse, though.
  • I missed my bike and my yoga terribly while I was away. Now I'm back, and they're all I'd hoped for.
  • Massive budget cuts (again) have my inbox full of notices, calls to action, predictions of doom... I think they're all correct, but my response right now is Delete Without Reading. I just can't handle it. "If you're not pissed off, you're not paying attention," says the bumper sticker. Well, I've been pissed off for years, and I'm exhausted from it. Gonna try Door #2, until the time comes when I can actually do something that I'm not already doing.
  • I've got a lot of pretty, pretty boys I call friends.
  • Since getting back I have, for the first time in years, been able to restart my morning-person-ness.
  • I have an ambitious research/writing agenda for next year at this point. I need to figure out how to pare it back to something that won't make me insane when the inevitable chaos hits.
The promised photo of me, also featuring my friend D.:

2 comments:

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

So---dance in the courtyard?

I've been doing DWR for years, for the same reason. I guess I burned out early.

Anonymous said...

That would be academia: you can check out any time you like, but...