Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Infinite Possibility of the New Notebook

Yesterday I bought a notebook. I am keeping a journal of my work. Hours, ideas, goals, that sort of shit. Also travel, for tax purposes.

It's nice -- black, with a strap. A Moleskine knockoff that my campus bookstore sold, made with recycled paper.

I love beautiful notebooks, in the same way that I loved buying school supplies when I was a child. A blank, crisp notebook represents promise and infinite possibility. But I get lazy about keeping them up. Still, all but one of the plants I purchased over a month ago are alive and actually beginning to flourish. So if this is the year that I keep the plants alive, maybe it will also be the year that I keep the journal thing going, too. Possibility fulfilled, maybe.

4 comments:

Matilda said...

I love new notebooks, especially I like the moment when I find a good one and open it thinking what I am going to do with it. I carry a notebook with me and write anything, such as, not-to-forget memos, research plans, and what I have done that day. Some use their smart phones as their journals, but I am a pen-and-paper person...

TriPartite Academic said...

I love the possibilities that a new notebook brings. Right now I'm sporting a lovely light pink Moleskine one. I feel good just carrying it around--and best of all, I'm actually using it! :-)

Historiann said...

I had to read your post twice to realize that you are talking about a paper notebook, not a "notebook" computer.

Congratutions on the green things. I don't know how you can stand them in the house!

NNR said...

Even I, the digital queen, still keep a paper journal. I believe you've even seen it. I always have my black soft back Moleskine with me. Along with my MacBook Air and iPad, with which I do not keep a journal...weird. I like the long line of notebooks marching down my shelf. I've kept a journal since junior high. Impressive, since usually the only things I'm consistent with are bad habits.