Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Ten-Minute Challenge

Today, I have student conferences booked back-to-back from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (with my evening class beginning at 6:30)

I also have about a gazillion little things I need to do: set up a committee meeting, mail off a check, register for this, that, and the other thing, turn in a book...

My conferences are booked for 30 min apiece, but they're really only taking 20 min.

I wonder how many loose ends I can get tied up today. I'll let you know. But right now, my 9:30 is here...

3 comments:

Dr. S said...

I often find that those tiny bits of time between student conferences are weirdly productive--more so than bigger gaps of time during my long-form, open-ended office hours. I think it's because of the energy involved in having the conferences themselves--all those different lives coming and going for so long.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Well, it was a good idea in theory, but in practice, students came early, came late, misunderstood their meeting times... still, I did manage to get three small things and one large one checked off the list.

It's been a looong week, people.

Anonymous said...

Why do students come to appointments early???? One of my annoyances...