Here's what works for me:
- Go to bed at a decent hour (before 11) so I can get up by 6:30.
- Make coffee, then go straight from there to the work that I have laid out from the night before
- Avoid internet and news until after my work session.
Here's what I did instead::
- Stayed up until past midnight, waiting for election returns
- As a consequence, overslept by an hour
- Skipped meditation
- While coffee was brewing, thought, "Oh, I should check to see how [critical state ballot measure] did. Yay! I should see what the news is saying about..."
The good news? I got in my 90 minutes -- a little more, in fact -- reading a single 30-page article (written in Blarg, no less).
The bad news? That was all I did.
So, with that in mind, I'm logging off now, laying out my work, and going to bed with good intentions for building more good habits.