Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I know what works (A month in writing, day three)

... I just need to actually do it.

Here's what works for me:
  • Go to bed at a decent hour (before 11) so I can get up by 6:30.
  • Meditate
  • Make coffee, then go straight from there to the work that I have laid out from the night before
  • Avoid internet and news until after my work session.
If I do these things, I knock out 90 minutes easy, and still have plenty of time to shower, have breakfast, and get to work on time.

Here's what I did instead::
  • Stayed up until past midnight, waiting for election returns
  • As a consequence, overslept by an hour
  • Skipped meditation
  • While coffee was brewing, thought, "Oh, I should check to see how [critical state ballot measure] did.  Yay! I should see what the news is saying about..."
Then, suddenly, it was 9:30, and I'd gotten nothing done, but had to get to a doctor's appointment.

The good news? I got in my 90 minutes -- a little more, in fact -- reading a single 30-page article (written in Blarg, no less).

The bad news? That was all I did.

So, with that in mind, I'm logging off now, laying out my work, and going to bed with good intentions for building more good habits.

No comments: