Saturday, March 30, 2013

Holy Moly, I'm actually writing!

Amazing what a deadline will do for your productivity. I mentioned the project I had committed to? An article-length piece for a special issue of a journal? I committed in a qualified way, meaning that I reserved the right for the damn thing to run a bit short. I may or may not come in short (I think of "article-length" as around 8,000 words), but I like to have that bit of pressure taken off.

Anyway, the review-ready draft is due on July first.  But I am going to be out of the country for most of the month of June. So guess what that means for my deadline.

Eeep!

But... This week, spring break started. And in the Hallelujah! spirit, I feel like my writing program is being resurrected from the dead. But maybe with less miracle and more zombie-revenant, because I'm pulling lots and lots from other places, slapping it together, and worrying about sculpting and polishing later.

Not too much later, though, because: deadline.

Welcome to day two.

3 comments:

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

Yay spring break and doing actual real writing!

Dr. Koshary said...

Amen to that! Say what you will about deadlines, they make us write. I'm still celebrating my accomplished deadline this evening.

Elizabeth Sheppard said...

I agree with you about deadlines. I am the same way. The problem with a self-made deadline (the one I have for myself) is that sometimes I'm not very strict with myself.

That reminds me, I need to re-set some deadlines!!