- Had lunch with another professor who’s been here a year, and who helped me orient myself.
- Wandered into the cathedral just in time for a free art-historical tour of the side chapels.
- Stocked the kitchen with bread, cheese, olive oil, salt, tomatoes, mâche, yogurt, honey, and fresh fruit.
- Walked out one night for a gelato, and instead ended up wandering through the open door of a small church (I can’t resist an open door that is usually closed; I’ve always been a bit of an explorer) and happened upon the second half of a free concert by two a capella ensembles, performing together traditional Gregorian chant (the male ensemble) interwoven with the music of Hildegard von Bingen.
- On the way home from this, still looking for gelato, ran across a film crew filming this: 
I also attended the first day of classes (3 1/2 hours in the morning: half grammar, half conversation). I ended up in classes that are challenging, but not so far over my head that I end up discouraged. In other words, they’re just right.
 Oddly enough, I ran across her and her film crew today as well, in a different part of the city while I was on my way to lunch. One more sighting and she's going to think I'm following her.