Monday, August 4, 2014

The Depths of My Ignorance

Where has Notorious been? Well, I've been writing. Just everything except blog posts.[1] In my very first post to this blog, back in 2007, I wrote: "If the blog begins to keep me from doing the actual work that it was created to motivate, the blog goes." Well, it's not that drastic, but spending hours a day, almost every day, either reading or writing on the summer projects has left me... well, I think I used up all my words for a while there.

But now we're here, just a few days short of the end of my Great Writing Summer with Many Projects, and by the end of the week I should be able to report back, but the short version is that a summer of ignoring virtually everything except those projects has kinda paid off, in that I've got some stuff to shove out the door very soon. I've also learned some stuff along the way, which I'll be blogging about soon as the summer winds down.  But here's the first one: When it comes to my new project, I'm pretty darned ignorant.

Now, before anyone cautions me not to be down on myself, let me note that I deliberately chose "ignorant" rather than "stupid." It's taken me eight years of grad school plus ten-plus years as a grown-up professor to realize that I'm probably not stupid, even for a person with a Ph.D. Sometimes I'm even pretty smart, with good ideas. But ignorance? Yeah, that's something else entirely.

Back when I was trying to figure out what my second-book project would be, I basically had two choices: build on what I already knew and continue researching/writing along those lines (hedgehog) or striking off for unknown country (fox). I opted for the latter approach, mainly because I didn't have anything really inspiring me in the former direction at that time. I knew it would be hard work essentially re-training myself. But diving into the first chapter of the new book project -- really diving in -- has been an exercise in realizing how many things I simply do not know about the place and time I've been studying and writing about lo these many years.

This has led to a few moments of despair and lots of "what the hell was I thinking?!?"  But on my better days, I think of this as an adventure. I hope that it becomes a book, and one that people will want to read. But by the time that I finish, at the very least I will have satisfied my own curiosity. And perhaps that's what it's all about, after all.
________________________________
[1] Well, that, and answers to e-mails, grant applications, the syllabus for a brand-new course I'll be teaching in the fall... okay, a lot of things, now that I really think about it.

8 comments:

Comradde PhysioProffe said...

That kind of ignorance is totally fucken awesome. Because you're not just trudging down the well worn paths that everyone who isn't ignorant "knows" is the right way to go. I make sure I do this about every five years.

Belle said...

That is so cool! Can't wait to get the updates!

Susan said...

Well, I think that those of us who work in far off places a long long time ago more or less live with that ignorance. And, as CPP suggests it makes for good scholarship, and interesting scholarship. Not to mention keeping you engaged...

Hildegard Flatley said...

Off base, the development of our children is fairly unique in relation to the individuals who conceived before such progression in science and innovation. It was hard for guardians to encourage their you could try these out children well and simple in bygone eras on the grounds that there wasn't anything admirably like science which can facilitate the issue of children and their folks.

Velva Block said...

The understudies who take an interest in recreations and physical activities in the school in like check more info perform well in examinations and tests. Their mind run well and brisk by virtue of the physical activities they do in the play region of the school.

Velva Block said...

In fact, advancement reduced the pressure of individuals about the lose of their wealth in light of the fact that there are go here now for the overall public to ensure their money. In case people don't extra their money in banks so they won't be fit spread money for robbers who are dynamic in huge urban territories.

anonymous said...

Amazing blog post,Truly I appreciate your aptitudes and method for the feeling that you used to show this article but you can visit http://www.correctthesentence.com/punctuation-correction-doesnt-have-to-be-hard-read-these-5-tips/ to manage your task. You are the person who depicts the issues of the essayists and the performing artists. I found your article is one of a kind and uncommon. You worked admirably to post this data.

Anonymous said...

Amazing blog post,A few people like a show in the possess nation as an enthusiasm and it is a decent advance for china which is set the presentation consistently for individuals who depend on way of life but you can visit www.passivevoicechecker.com/best-passive-sentence-checker to manage your task. Numerous pieces of china vacationer come and participate in this show.