Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Hook

fig. 1: an obscure corner of a certain goose-infested locale frequented by bloggers such as tenthmedieval.

Over the past couple of days, I've been working on skimming hundreds of pages of material (most of which I'd already read previously, thank goodness!) in order to write approximately 300 words.** And today, I think I found my hook. You know, that organizing principle that lets you string together a bunch of disparate books and articles around a single theme that happens to relate to what you're talking about. I think I have it.

Actually, it's not that simple. To be more precise, I've found two or three hooks. So tomorrow I finish skimming, and start the process of trying to weave these two or three threads together. Threads. Hooks. Whatever. I think I can do this. I just wish I weren't so goddamned rushed.


**Different from the section I was bitching about a couple of posts down. I'm sure they'll both turn out all right, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frequented, alas not so much, I've only been there the once like a common tourist. But it's still lovely.

Anonymous said...

I should add that I'm now fascinated by the prospective book of course, and glad to hear it's finding a shape to take.