- Tropical fruit tastes different when you're actually in the tropics. I ate a lot of mangos, and an acaí smoothie every other day. I regret nothing.
- Yes, I was staying with a friend 2 blocks from Ipanema beach, and a 20-minute walk from Copacabana beach. They're famous for a reason.
- Tourist stuff: yes, we rode the cable car up Sugarloaf mountain. Athletic folks, you can actually climb this thing, though about 15 meters of it require rope and a guide.
- As far as I can tell, the food groups in Brazil are: tropical fruit, deep-fried starches, meat, and sugary things with other sugary things on top of them. I was pretty okay with that.
- In Rio, you wear a bikini to the beach, even if you're a 60 year-old grandmother with the body to prove it. I was one of three people on the beach wearing a one-piece suit. The other two were long past retirement age.
- I may still have sand in my belly button.
Oh, and a picture: