Friday, October 2, 2009

Coffee and Sympathy

So, I looked at the job ads on the AHA website this morning. October 2, so I think this was the last week to reasonably expect much to come up. A lot of the ads that are there are shared with an adjacent chronological field, or are thematically narrow, and one is quite obviously a big, fat fake search, written specifically for an inside candidate.** Here's what I came up with in the field of History for medievalists:

No. Nevermind. I was going to post the numbers, but they're just not good, and no stressed-out job hunter needs specific triggers like this.

So, as much as Notorious wants to improve her working conditions, she is sitting this one out, and will merely be rallying to the support of her ABD and recently-graduated colleagues. If you know me personally, or if you are a fellow blogger, and on the market: I'll be at AHA, and coffee's on me.


**Seriously, people: I know that fake searches sometimes happen. I'm not sure if it's better or worse when they're so damn obvious.

7 comments:

clio's disciple said...

Mm. I see what you mean. There was definitely one job in the field I'd seen advertised earlier and don't see now.

Anonymous said...

People who publish obviously fake job ads should be dropped in a cage full of hungry, rabid cats. When you post a job on Sept 22 with a deadline of October 2, you aren't fooling anyone, assholes!

Susan said...

I will take you up on the coffee!

Janice said...

It's very similar up here in Canada. I haven't seen a single medievalist or early modern position, yet.

We have to hire at least one person on the French side of our department this year or we can't continue to offer our undergraduate degree. Two if we want to keep the grad program in French. It'll be a fight to even get the one position. *sigh*

Wishing everyone a chance to fight the good fight and to help keep the positions available for those who're searching.

Bavardess said...

As someone who's still at a relatively early stage in the grad student journey, I swing between ignoring the whole problem of getting an even vaguely-related job at the end of it, and blithely believing that 'surely things will be better by then!'

ER Doc said...

Not a good time for anyone to be changing jobs if they can help it...

Bookbag said...

Some of the job ads are fake?! Well, that's just depressing. But this post is very nice.