Saturday, April 24, 2010

Little Anxieties

Well, this was meant to be the beginning of a three-day in-town vacation with my happy genius friend from my fellowship year. Sadly, she got stuck in London, and decided that she'd rather spend time with her sweetie than sitting in Heathrow waiting with approximately 1.6 million other people for a spot to open up on an airplane to Exotic Research City. Imagine that.

So, I'm here, and kicking around for a few days. The sun has decided to come out today, so I'm going to spend a little time in the archives, but not much. Perhaps a little fancy ice cream today. And a little mulling over travel anxieties:
  • Will the two pair of shoes, satchel, stacks of copied documents and assorted gifties for friends & family all fit in the suitcase on the way back? What will I need to jettison to make this happen? (yoga mat, one pair of jeans & one black turtleneck already on their last legs, house slippers... but what else?)
  • Will my stopover at Heathrow turn into a multi-day odyssey?
  • How bad will the crowds at Exotic Research City airport be? Should I get there *three* hours early, rather than two?
  • Will volcano #2 blow up right when we're over it?
  • Will I get in trouble with customs for bringing home an unauthorized cheese? Can those beagles at the airport sniff cheese? Should I maybe pack it in hashish to throw them off?
Can you tell that this was one of those mornings where I didn't meditate when I woke up?

13 comments:

Digger said...

Ahhh, fretting. One of my favorite pastimes also! You can always ship whatever doesn't fit; earlier is always better; if the flight is delayed, you have cheese and won't starve; if they confiscate it, oh well.

Enjoy your last few days in Exotic Research City; I hope the weather cooperates.

Curt Emanuel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Comrade PhysioProf said...

Cheese is the best thing in the world.

The History Enthusiast said...

When I did study abroad I mailed some of my books back. You could always do that instead of tossing stuff, although I don't know how much it would cost from your country. I was in England.

clio's disciple said...

Maybe some meditation now is in order? :) Good luck getting safely home!

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Already mailed my biggest book purchases. Good idea, though.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

And CPP: it's unpasteurized cheese, even. Mmmm....

(let's hope the USDA doesn't read medievalist blogs!)

Curt Emanuel said...

I can't help you with your cheese/hash/canine olfactory issue but a few years ago while planning for a trip to Europe (one that ended up not happening) I came across this.

I particularly liked the suggestion that if you start feeling a little gross you could buy a new set of clothes, take a shower and be a new you. I never get to buy my own clothes (I'm told my taste is terrible) so the thought is oddly liberating - freedom! Of course it is nice to run your skivvies through the wash once before you put 'em on.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your cheese getting home. And if things get a bit rough, there are worse things than having a "You think THAT was bad - I remember one time when I was stuck at Heathrow . . ." Of course those stories are always best if they only get really bad through a little embellishment.

Comrade PhysioProf said...

And CPP: it's unpasteurized cheese, even. Mmmm....

Sheep? Sheep/goat blend?

AliceAcademic said...

Air travel has a tendency to bring out those little anxieties these days. Hope it all works out smoothly and wish you and your cheese safe travels home.

Joe said...

My wife and I always UPS stuff from the States to Canada, when we are returning back from an extended trip. It's easier and its guaranteed to get there with better handling results than normal Post. From abroad, I only did so when I was in Portugal and was sending some other things back. Was a pain in customs, though. Good luck on your trip back :)

Susan said...

Alas, the dogs, if they are around, WILL pick up cheese. I once was carrying a bag that had had (I think) a cheese sandwich, or some such, and got stopped by the customs agent with the dog as I waited for my luggage. My advice would be to wrap the cheese very tightly (i.e. one of those zipper cooler bags, or some such) , and put it in the middle of a suitcase...

medieval woman said...

Yes! Get there 3 hours early!!