Friday, April 30, 2010

Random Bullets of Welcome Home

  • One of my major purchases in Exotic Research City was a set of out-of-print reference books that cost approximately $140, plus another $100 to ship home. They arrived, safe and sound.
  • My friends here in the department have been wonderful, eager to see me again and take me out for various meals. I'm sure the novelty of me being home will wear off soon, but it's kind of fun, and makes me feel "home."
  • Family is healthy, and sister who was temporarily unemployed has a job again. It's not the job she wants, but it'll do for now.
  • I seem to have contracted a throat infection just before I got on the plane. Four years ago, I wouldn't have gone to the doctor for a sore throat. But after the serious illness while in Fellowship City, I'm taking no chances, and have an appointment for today. [UPDATE: went, she took a throat culture, saw nothing alarming, but damn my throat feels raw.]
  • Between hurting to swallow and jet lag, I've woken up at 4 a.m. both days since I've been home. That makes for a combined total of 16 hours of sleep in the last three nights. I think I'm overdue for a full night.
  • Final result of 11 weeks of wonderful food, no bike, and quitting smoking, the final verdict is a gain of 4 pounds. Not bad, I think. But I'm still not putting my jeans in the dryer anytime soon.
  • I have yet to write my Kalamazoo paper.

5 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Hey, congrats on the quitting smoking! That's a huge achievement -- I know so many people who struggle with it!

clio's disciple said...

Welcome back! I'm not done with my Kalamazoo paper either. Unfortunate, as I know teaching is going to be intense in the next couple of weeks.

Comrade PhysioProf said...

Final result of 11 weeks of wonderful food, no bike, and quitting smoking, the final verdict is a gain of 4 pounds.

That's a nice little wheel of cheese!

Good Enough Woman said...

Yay for the quitting smoking! Seems as if that might have been especially challenging while alone in Exotic Research City. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I also am not done with my Kalamazoo paper (it is having to fit between job applications) and I didn't even go abroad. You are well ahead of the game, I reckon. (And with the quitting thing, also, hurrah for your resolve.)