UPDATED with more info for people who have already submitted abstracts: scroll down to the bottom of the post.
I reproduce here without comment a note to a listserv from Professor Monica Green, regarding current debates in the Medieval Academy's governing body over whether to pull out of this year's meeting in Arizona. I've blogged about this briefly, but there is a much bigger discussion going on. I encourage my medievalist readers especially (and even more those who are Medieval Academy members) to read below, take a look at the links, and get involved, according to their own political or scholarly priorities:
I wish to bring to your attention the fact that the Council of the Medieval Academy of America (MAA) is currently debating whether to continue with plans to hold the 2011 meeting in Arizona, as had originally been scheduled. [...]
As I said, the MAA Council is at this very moment debating the issue amongst themselves and is due to vote on the matter by next Wednesday, June 15. As would be expected, there is a range of opinion about the matter. If you would like more information, there is a notice on the blog "In the Middle" (you'll need to scroll down a bit to the section headed 'Important Update RE: MAA in AZ'). Included there is a statement by one of the current Councilors, Connie Berman. She includes a link to the list of the full current Council, where you can find e-mail addresses in order to contact them with your opinion. There is also a petition calling for a boycott of the meeting if plans are not made to move it elsewhere: for discussion, go to http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/2010/05/open-letter-to-medieval-academy-of.html
If you have not yet heard about the law that was passed in April, probably the easiest thing to do is just Google "Arizona immigration law". There have been tens of thousands of news reports about it worldwide.
[T]his is a matter of academic politics of concern to us all. I encourage you to read the blog statement and contact the MAA Council with your opinion.
UPDATED: reproducing below a section of the letter from MAA program officer Professor Constance Berman (which I shamelessly ganked from the "In the Middle" post Professor Green references above):
I would like you all to know that enough Councilors of the Medieval Academy of America have indicated that we will not attend a meeting in Arizona to have called a virtual meeting of the Academy which will, I hope, take place within the next two weeks. One of the arguments being used to have the meeting continue in AZ is that there are 120 abstracts. While I'm morally opposed to having a meeting in Tempe, I'm trying to use the more easily made "practical" argument, that if we hold a meeting, no one will come. So, if you have submitted an abstract, but will not attend if it's still in AZ, then it would be good if you so indicate to medieval academy officers and council -- whose names have recently been sent out on the MAA list-serv
It'll make it easier for those who oppose it from inside the Council without having your abstract used against us. Thanks and hang in there,
Connie Berman, Prof. of History, University of Iowa
So there you have it. I wonder: are any of my readers people who have submitted abstracts? Are you planning to pull out? Would you be willing to share here why or why not?