- Food: I'd like to try a new recipe every week. I love to eat, and I really enjoy the process of cooking, when I have the time for it.
- Mind/body: I've been, off and on, practicing yoga and doing some silent meditation. Most of my adult life, my head has felt like it was full of flies. And lately, my ability to focus on where I'm at, who I'm with, and what I'm supposed to be doing has been getting worse. I'd like to change that.
- Just plain body: Do you know that I can't do even a single push-up? And that I've never been able to? As I get older, "fit" equals less "pretty/sexy" than "strong/not hobbling around."
- Creativity: I take pictures. I think I'll keep doing that.
- Stop waiting: I've been putting off a lot of Stuff I Want To Do until I meet That Special Someone to do it with, or until I'm in the perfect job, or in the perfect location, or am out of debt... the list could go on. Time to realize that my life is what is happening now, rather than what is waiting somewhere up ahead.
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
My Work ≠ Me
When you're single with no children, it's easy to let the academic part of your identity take over your life. But lately I've been remembering that before I became an academic, I was a bunch of other things. Friends and neighbors, I'm going to be forty in less than a month, so it seems like an appropriate time to take stock. So here's some random stuff I've been thinking about. If I think about it enough, it may end up popping into the blog from time to time, along with the usual academentia: