Sunday, August 7, 2011

In which I get a bit woo-woo

Remember how I posted recently about my plant-killing abilities?

Well, a couple of days ago, I bought two big ol' bags of potting soil, two shade-tolerant and hardy-looking houseplants, and three itty-bitty pots of flowering plants for a hanging basket. And some plant food (which I may have already lost). And I potted the new plants and repotted the two plants that I already had, as sort of a prize for having survived years of my neglect. And I brought them inside, and set them about the house. Three floor plants and one hanging one in the front room, and one brand-new plant in the bedroom, where I'd been maintaining a pot of dried-out dirt (where a plant had once lived) for so many years that I no longer noticed it.

And I swear to god, the apartment feels different. I only added two plants, and replaced another that was looking scraggly. But it just feels like a warmer, happier place somehow. Good energy in the room. Plus, I had the added bonus of falling asleep to the scent of fresh soil and cedar shavings emanating from the newly potted plant a couple of feet from my bed.

Conclusion: living plants -- as opposed to scraggly, dying ones and pots full of dirt and dead roots -- make things better.

2 comments:

Anthea said...

Living plants even if they're in pots (I have an apartment too) make one's personal space so much better. I find that this particularly true even in the midst of winter when everything is either dead or dormant outside.

Comrade PhysioProf said...

Plants are wonderful! We have fresh flowers delivered to our building lobby every Monday, and it makes me so happy to look at and smell them every day when I get home!