Thursday, November 19, 2015

Some Advice for Writers Who Are Bored

::ahem::

If you are not interested in what you are writing, then there is no way in hell that your reader or listener will be interested. DO NOT WRITE WHAT BORES YOU.**




**There are, of course, caveats and addenda and a whole flippin' backstory to this involving me wondering why I spent almost three months on a chapter and was still thinking "so what?!?", but I did just figure it out and now I'm 150 words into my introduction to a conference paper and think I can knock off the whole damn thing (the intro, that is; not the whole paper) and best of all, I may just have something interesting to say. So I'm gonna go say it. But stay tuned...

3 comments:

heu mihi said...

Oh but I have never written anything of any substantial length that didn't bore me sometimes! Sometimes I just need to grit my teeth and push through until the excitement comes back....

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Boredom should be temporary; if the whole damn thing is dull -- that is, if you are writing more than a paragraph or two out of a sense of obligation rather than because it's legitimately neat -- then it's DOA, IMO.

undine said...

The boring paragraphs are often those that sum up all the other scholarship: "X says this thing, and Y says this infinitesimally different thing in theoryspeak, and Z says exactly the same thing as the other two"--except, of course, that you can't be this flippant about it.