Wednesday, November 25, 2015

What I Meant by "Don't Write What Bores You"

I'm rounding the corner on a conference paper culled from the chapter that had been fighting me for the past few months, and that I recently put to bed, even though it was by no means ready to go. It had a beginning, middle, and end, so I could walk away. But I wasn't satisfied.

And about a week ago, I realized that the problem was that the chapter as I had constructed it just didn't interest me. The facts were right, but the argument was forced, in general because I couldn't make myself care one little bit about the stuff I was writing about.

I was, in short, writing the chapter for the same reason that I put on pants in the morning: because I thought people would expect it. "Where's your chapter on X?", I imagined them saying. "How could you possibly write a book about Blerg City in this time and place without going in depth into this Very Important Issue?"

Well, yeah. I don't disagree. It's an important part of the larger story I want to tell. But I couldn't make myself care. And as a result, I had 20,000 flat, boring words that had taken me months to put together, and that no one could conceivably enjoy reading.

Once this realization dawned on me, I left my office took a walk around the Hogwarts grounds, which are lovely grounds for strolling. I muttered to myself[1] as I strolled -- "I don't care about that. What I'm really interested in is..." -- until I could finish that sentence.

Now, as heu mihi pointed out in the comments to my previous post, sometimes we do have to write boring-to-us stuff in order to get to the thing that interests us. True enough. But what I'm talking about is entire long stretches of writing -- a chapter, an article, god help us a book -- that we just don't give a damn about. The way I see it, if you don't decide to just trash it and walk away, and you don't want to publish something that just lies there like a dead fish, you have one choice: find the thing within the boring thing that actually interests you, and make that your center.

This is just what I did. I did it on a smaller scale: I have a conference paper in two weeks, so I need about 3500 words (it's a longer paper) on a nice, tight idea. So I'm writing this paper around that interesting idea. And I think -- I hope -- that this may save my chapter. But more on that later.


[1] As I did so, I tried not to worry that passers-by would think I was nuts. Hogwarts, I reasoned, is the kind of place where the first assumption might be to assume I was a mad genius. And anyway, I'll be leaving in a few months, so who cares what they think?

8 comments:

Flavia said...

Agreed with this (& your previous) 100%. And I do something similar when I'm stuck, or when my argument seems to be just a dull, plodding thing: "what I think is REALLY going on in this text is ..." usually it's something insane and unprovable and that I could never phrase that way in a work of scholarship, but allowing myself to just blurt out my hunches keeps me in touch with them and helps me move to something more productive.

Susan said...

I often think the process from rough draft to next draft is a matter of "What is it that's really interesting here" and then reshaping the mass of information I've got into something that tells a story.

And the Hogwarts grounds are perfect for wandering and talking to yourself.

Comradde PhysioProffe said...

Are you gonna come to the City? We'll cook you dinner!

Christopher Blevins said...

Wonderful Blog post! Many thanks plenty plenty in regard to stipulating this excellent certainly blog post, it been for a while so professional you go through with important for improve the overall know-how even while recent an actual http://www.freepunctuationchecker.com/looking-for-comma-checker-you-are-on-the-right-place/ take care of publishing that site.

Christopher Blevins said...

Amazing Write-up! Using cheers tons tons with regards to disclosing this excellent surely write-up, that will seemed as a result seasoned you should only assessment joined with crucial to further improve your website know-how however give you a exclusive have more data secure making this specific web site.

Christopher Blevins said...

I like to test economies the fact that provide for e-mailed submissions to have the price postage affordable, however , That i certainly wouldn't wayward off from anthis page industry whenever Making it very post it all during. But some disputes prepared electrical in the process.

joe said...

This is really true to understand that writing can be fun and enjoyment so we just go with perfect writing. By following this site https://www.grammarcheckeronline.org/best-online-sentence-checker/ we should must enjoy writing.

haris said...

I can really enjoy such kinda readings where we can learn wonderful writing. This site http://www.grammerchecker.net/our-british-english-grammar-checker/ is inspiring us a lot and we should must apprecaite about this blog.