Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Civic Duty

I've voted. For the good guys, of course. And against the bad ballot measures.** Had to wait 20 minutes, for the first time ever. Tonight I'm going to sit home in my TV-less apartment (the one time that I really miss it!) and listen to the returns on NPR.

Butterflies in my stomach already. This is going to be a long day. Glad I'm teaching through 5 pm, or else I'd be obsessing on polls & stuff all day. But if you want something to distract you, go and check out Clio's Disciple's nice post on "Voting, Medieval Style."


**I'm having this vague memory of someone doing a series of three generic poems, one of which was "generic poem number three: socially conscious generic poem" that had the line "Rise up, good people! Overthrow the bad people!" And now I'm going crazy trying to remember who did this. If this rings any bells, please let me know!

3 comments:

JaneB said...

Is there any chance that it was Wendy Cope? I know she did a generic 'poem for a public event'...

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Jane, but no -- it was a guy. There were three generic poems: a love poem, an angry love poem, and the socially conscious generic poem.

This would have been back in the 80s, I think.

Anonymous said...

I was just trying to figure this out, i know 7 years late but I do have an MP3 of them that I made from a mix tape sadly all I have for the author is.."Some sarcastic ass"