Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I never realized how beautiful these words would be.


________________________________________________

This manuscript has much to offer and I recommend its publication...

________________________________________________


Seriously. Those are some wonderful words, aren't they? There is, of course, a whole bucket o' caveats and addenda. But let's just take a couple of moments to bask.

((pauses))

Good? Good. Let's talk about those caveats and addenda. You can keep basking while I talk, if you wish. Why not? I am -- "background-basking" while I do other things.

Caveat #1: Note the sentence above ends with ellipeses. That's because the final part of the sentence says: "...with revisions." But hey, I expected this. There may have been, at some point in the recent history of the profession, a book that was published with no recommended revisions, but I've never heard of it.

Caveat #2: This is only the first of two readers' reports. Apparently #2 is still out. And until I have two recommendations, I don't have a clear path to a contract.

Still, this was a good report. The criticism was fair and constructive, and the reader even took the time to make some concrete suggestions for improvement. The two large criticisms were not completely unexpected, so I'm prepared to do them.

I think I'm a little in shock, after my experience with the Journal of Excellent Studies -- I somehow expect reviews to be harsh. So this is very nice.

I've got to go now: my neighbor is taking me up to the office in five minutes for the last day of classes before Thanksgiving weekend. Today I have to finish the half dozen papers that I didn't get through, and deal with a plagiarist, to boot. Still, I'm going to keep in background-bask mode all day. It's kind of nice.

11 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Congratulations! You're halfway there! And this reader got back to you fast, too!

Dr. S said...

Aooowwww!

[Latua!]

Susan said...

Yea, Notorious! How excellent. Bask away. . . for a whole weekend!

clio's disciple said...

Congratulations! That is a nice speedy response, too! I hope the second one is as good...

medieval woman said...

Way to go!!!!

Congrats - one down one to go...

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That's great news you can enjoy all long-weekend long!

K

AliceAcademic said...

Yay! That's so fabulous. You go, Girl Scholar!

Anonymous said...

This is great news. The speed with which the verdict was delivered is incredibly impressive, but I think that speaks to the quality and polish of your manuscript. Positive reviews are so much easier (and shorter!) to write than qualified or negative reviews. So, my guess is that you made it easy for the reviewer to say "yes!"

Fingers crossed as you await the verdict of #2.

Clio Bluestocking said...

Beautiful words indeed!

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

Most excellent!

Anonymous said...

Yea! Those are beautiful words. Got my fingers crossed for more coming your way from Reader #2.