Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History

Today in my afternoon class, when everyone was jumpy for the earliest poll returns, I took ten minutes at the beginning of class to ask my students what their earliest political memory was. I got everything from Vietnam to Reagan being shot to 9/11.

Tonight, while listening to Obama's acceptance speech (including all those MLK echoes), I had to think that this is going to be that first political memory for many very young people around the country. And a watershed moment for us all, I hope.

That's it. I'm proud, I'm excited, I'm emotionally overwhelmed, but most of all, I'm hopeful.


(photo: NY Times)

5 comments:

hilary said...

Yes, yes, and yes...emotional, excited, proud. I'm feeling it all, too.

Anxious about Prop 8, even though it's not my state...

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Hi Hil -- Welcome back!

Yes, prop 8 stuff still coming in. "Yes" still has an edge, sad to say. But I think that a lot of big city precincts are still being counted. Sadly, I was one of many people in my very urban county who got a robocall implying that Obama wanted me to vote yes on 8.

Anonymous said...

It's too late to pick up a phone, but I voted and I did it for the good guy. This is in fact the first time I've voted for a presidental cantidate who won! So what's your earliest political memory? Mine is watching the Berlin wall being beaten to pieces with sledgehammers, sticks, rocks, and hands.

Anonymous said...

My earliest political memory (if I subtract a number of political assassinations) is driving through the Alps while listening to the reports from the Reagan administration.

Anonymous said...

Oh me too! A rare, wonderful feeling of hope and pride. Maybe enough to replace a lot of unfortunate political memories of recent years.