Monday, March 3, 2008



So very sick.

Can't swallow, so have been subsisting on liquids and things dipped in liquids for two days. Spent nineteen consecutive hours in bed last night/this morning. Woke up every two hours either shivering or drenched in sweat. Feeling dehydrated, but even drinking water hurts.

Went to immediate care facility yesterday afternoon (thanks to Interesting Development, who insisted on taking me, waiting around, and taking me back home, even though he's on a push to write 1,000 words a day for 25 days), and they're doing a Strep culture even as we speak. In the meantime, I deal with it. They even offered me a Vicodin prescription for the pain. I turned it down, but now I'm regretting it, just a little, because constant nagging pain will wear you down.

And I'm not working. Fuck.


Dr. S said...

I think I've had what you're having--and yes, take the pain medicine, because it will help you sleep, which will help you kick this thing. I had strep (which my doctor in grad school said she thought had probably been mono) just before second semester during my first year in college, and during the week that it kept me down, I couldn't even put a turtleneck on--even that much pressure on my throat was awful. Finally, when they gave me pain meds, I got some good sleep and my fever broke. I don't remember what the meds were, but I do remember how relieved I felt when the doctor prescribed them (at the emergency room--it had gotten bad enough that my parents took me in).

Don't worry about not working at this point. Just focus on getting better. Kick that illness's ass.

meli said...

that sounds horrible! i hope you get better soon.

hilary said...

I hope you feel better soon. And don't stress about not working right now...can you imagine the kind of stuff you might be writing?
Focus on getting better please.

medieval woman said...

Yuck - hope you feel better!!

Dr. S said...

Dude, I hope you're feeling better.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Thank you all. I'm not feeling as crappy as I was on Sunday, but the last 48 hours have been mostly holding steady, at a not-so-great level. Good news is: I'M DYING TO GET BACK TO WORK!

(And even to the gym, gods help me.)