- An approved and filed dissertation
- A fully revised book MS to send off for review to press(es)
- Once under contract, another version, revised according to the press readers' reports
- A version that you correct after the press' copy editors have had a go at it
- A final version where you make any (very few!) last-minute changes to the galley proofs
- A book
As many of my fellow bloggers and commenters know (from both good experiences and bad ones), this is blazingly, unexpectedly, lightning-fast. Best yet, it could mean an actual book on the Dream Press table at Kalamazoo this year.
Lucky, lucky me.
**It perhaps goes without saying, but you should celebrate each and every one of these milestones, with cake and/or the beverage of your choice.