Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What I Haven't Been Doing

No, wait. First, what I have been doing: I got another book tossed back at the library today. Another thick tome that I spent a day on and determined was interesting, but only 20 pages or so were relevant.

What I haven't been doing is cleaning my house. New Kid has a post up on some show about messy houses. I haven't seen that show, but I know mine isn't that bad: the sheets and towels are clean, the bed is made, and I even scrubbed the sink a couple of days ago! But I haven't swept the floor for ages, and we don't even want to talk about the bathtub. And, of course, the desk is cluttered:



(Technically, a picture from a month ago, when I was still in the throes of grading, but replace the bluebooks with a stack of my own reading materials, and you get the idea.)

Now, I've never been much of a house cleaner, but here's the thing: I work best in the complete absence of clutter. Problem is, there's no one to pick up after me but me. And it's getting to the point where I can't stand it anymore: I want a clutter-free desk, a desk lamp without a coat of dust, and even a clean bathtub.

Fortunately, I expect that my desperate desire to avoid work will force me to clean house sooner or later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Rosenwein! I'm teaching that next month. Hope it's a good book. ;-) (What, read it ahead of time??)