Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Let it All Hang Out," indeed.


From the Wikipedia entry on Evergreen State College,** whose motto, Omnia Extares, is a bastard Latin translation of "let it all hang out":

"In 2008 the college became one of about 30 college and universities in the country to create a gender neutered option in its campus housing."

Yipes!


**Yours Truly almost matriculated at Evergreen at age 18. The story of why I did not has nothing to do with faux Latin, nor with the fighting Geoducks (pronounced "gooey-duck") themselves. Nor were they neutering students at the time, as far as I know.

2 comments:

theswain said...

Ah, Evergreen State......I too almost went there back in the day, but couldn't quite wrap my head around the place at 18. Good memories though!

I now live far away from the evergreen state, and I miss geoducks steamed in beer on a hot summer's day.

hilary said...

Oh yeah...what happened to that plan anyway? We came to our senses?

The neutering wouldn't have bothered me as much as the hanging out of it all...you know how modest I am.