Friday, February 20, 2009

Oh, Happy!

Two of my friends from Fellowship City got engaged! Hooray!

Full disclosure: I was never one of those people who daydreamed about her perfect wedding, or sketched wedding dress designs on her school notebooks. As 40 approaches, I am not panicked that I'm not married. I think marriage is a nice public gesture, and certainly has its practical benefits, but I don't think it's for everyone, and I don't think it's necessary to happy couple-hood.

But just the same, when two people you care about, and who you have watched find each other, lose each other, and negotiate the bumps in the road to find each other again decide to make a big, fat, public commitment to each other, that's pretty damn cool, and worth celebrating. A lot. And if all goes well, I'll be in Fellowship City for a long weekend this summer, doing just that.

So, if either of the two of you are reading, congratulations! Yay, you!

No comments: