Thursday, March 26, 2009

A confluence of unfortunate circumstances

Circumstance one: Morning class is in a classroom in the center of a building, so no windows, and all doors give on to one of two high-traffic hallways.

Circumstance two: Today was one of many days that that building's erratic climate control system was heating the room to about 76 degrees.

Circumstance three: Today I gave a midterm in morning class, meaning that opening the doors to get (limited) cross-ventilation was impractical, due to distracting hallway noise.

Circumstance four: Pre-spring break stress/lack of sleep/apathy has apparently led some of my students to pay less attention than usual to personal hygiene.

Circumstance five: My morning class is 85% male, mostly in their very early twenties.


Result: Well, you can guess.

5 comments:

Dr. S said...

I'm going to add to #4 that adrenaline is stinky, in and of itself.

Yuk.

My word tonight is "patterno." Looks to me like you've got yerself a patterno here.

The Steel Magnolia said...

Unfortunate, but really quite funny. That reminds me of the day I was on my way home from the hair salon in the summer, in the South, in a car with no air conditioning. It started to rain buckets just as I got on the expressway between exits, and traffic came to a screeching halt. So, in addition to sweating (and flattening) my very expensive new hair, I had to pee like race horse--with the rain reminding me every second. It was not a good situation.

Clio Bluestocking said...

Isn't that against the Geneva Convention?

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I dunno about the Geneva convention, but I think I should at least contact my union rep.

Anonymous said...

This might be an instance in which I would try yelling "Calgon, take me away."

My verification is "ourch"! That seems like another thing to yell in a situation like this...