Saturday, June 4, 2011

My first week in Blargistan

NB: people are still checking in and discussing over at the writing group. You can find that discussion by clicking here.


I think it's going well. The goal this time is to try to apply "work less, live more," even to my research trips. So, thus far, between arriving Tuesday and today (Saturday), I have:
  • Given the first of my presentations (went well, but ran long) and gotten to meet some academics here I hadn't known previously
  • Developed a game plan for the archives I'm going to later this month
  • Given away several courtesy copies of my book
  • Spent a little time in one archive's reading room tracking down some odds and ends for an article project
  • I have not, however, looked at a single medieval document.

I have also:
  • Met up with a couple of US colleagues, one of whom I haven't seen for years
  • Eaten cheese, cherries, and tomatoes
  • Had coffee or lunch with a number of friends
  • Slept through every night, miraculously without any jetlag of any kind (I think that being awake for more than 30 hours straight on the way and my first day here had something to do with that).
  • Taken some pretty pictures:


4 comments:

Historiann said...

JEA-loussssss! Have a great time, Notorious, and rock the archives.

Comrade PhysioProf said...

Where's the CHEESE!?!?!?!?

lolz

Susan said...

Sounds good! I wish I'd managed jet lag as well this year.

Anthea said...

Wow...sounds like so much fun. I'm so jealous!